Kindle Publishing Help Tips - New
A) How to
make picture files (to insert) ...
1. Select TIFF images from /Candidates/ and copy into /CPS/PHOTO
2. Use ViewNX
to do final selection and invoke CaptureNX to fix and save as "A-xxx.jpg."
3. Copy all A-xxx.jpg
to /CPS/PHOTO SMALL/ folder for resize.
4. In Photoshop
--- Open all A-xxx.jpg files.
5. In Photoshop
--- Image - Image Size - Pixel Dimensions : 600 pixels for width.
6. In Photoshop
--- Save As - JPEG : Use the same file name (override OK).
7. In Photoshop
--- JPEG Option : Use Quality HIGH (8).
8. Max size per
image = 127 KB (JPEG).
A1) CaptureNX from Nikon ...
1. Adjust - Light - Auto Levels... Auto - Advanced - Correct
Contrast/Correct Color Cast
--- Good for the last adjustment
to ensure Brightness.
2. Adjust -
Light - Contrast/Brightness...
--- Good for these.
3. Adjust -
Color - Color Balance...
--- Very difficult to use (used
for old print to make it green).
4. Adjust -
Color - Color Boost...
--- Good for boosting.
5. Adjust -
Color - Saturation/Warmth...
--- Do not over saturate.
6. Tilt / Crop.
7. Local color
8. Fix warping.
A2) How to
Make a Title Page ...
1. Put a large TIFF image file into MS Publisher.
2. Add book title to the image (Insert text box).
3. Display "Preview"
4. Screen shot to MS Paint.
5. Select the image and "Crop" and Save As (JPEG) with Highest.
6. Upload to Kindle (Title).
B1) How to
Make a TOC ... Word 2003 -
1. It's easier and more flexible to just make Hyper-link using
Bookmark, as below:
2. Create a TOC where you want it (like, a list of items like
Preface, Chapter1, Chapter 2, etc)
3. In MS Doc, put a marker text to jump to, like "ch1", "ch2" etc.
maybe, at the Page break.
4. Highlight "ch1" and Insert --> Bookmark... and name it "ch01"
5. Do the same for all places you want to jump to from TOC.
6. Come back to TOC and highlight "Chapter 1". Then R-click -
Hyperlink. - Bookmark button.
7. Select "ch1" bookmark. Now, TOC's Chapter 1 is connected to
8. When making a new chapter, place the carrot at the beginning of
the letter "chapter" and R-click Paragraph... and Line and Page Breaks tab, Page
break before and OK. This will always start a chapter in a new page in KDP...
B1) How to
Make a TOC ... Word 2003 -
1. Highlight the word (to appear in TOC) like "Chapter 1" (Ensure to
put CR at the end)
2. Format - Styles and Formatting... - Select "Heading 1"
3. Do the same for all "Chapters..." to appear in TOC.
4. Click the
location where you want TOC to appear.
4. Insert - Reference - Index & Tables - and Click Table of Contents
5. Unclick "Show page number" and OK.
6. To add more, do (1) and Hightlight TOC and R-clcik "Update Field"
7. Type "Table
of Contents" above the TOC
8. Highlight it - then Insert - Bookmark - Type "toc" (without
9. Kindle user can now jump to TOC in your book.
10. Font size/color of
Heading 1 must be set my Heading 1 - Modify
11. Use Heading 2 for sub-items in TOC
12. Table of Contents itself can be colored or sized directly by highlighting
B) How to
prepare a book document in MS Word...
1. Create a book text using MS Word (CPS.doc). Max doc size =
Text space, indent, font,
images (.jpg) using Insert - From File (Do not use Copy/Paste).
3. In the final
Word document, Save As - Type: Web page - filtered (*.html, *htm)
4. A warning
message about ...
Just click OK.
5. This creates
CPS.htm and CPS_files folder (containing all jpeg images).
6. To make a
single zip file, go to Windows Explorer and highlight both (use ctrl).
7. R-click and
select "Send to" and select "Compressed (zipped) folder".
8. This creates
a zip file of the name where the cursor is at. (ex. CPS.zip)
9. This is the
zip file to be uploaded to Kindle.
C) How to
upload to Kindle....
1. Go to Kindle :
2. Sign in :
3. Bookshelf -
Select the title to work on.
4. Verify your
publishing right : This is NOT public domain.
5. Upload Your
Book File : Enable digital rights management.
6. Book content
file : Browse for Book -- Go to CPS.zip file created above.
Select and click Open, and then Upload Book.
successful upload, click "Preview" to see the book.
8. If all is
good, click "Save and Continue"
9. WHEN YOU ARE
READY to Publish >>>>> then "Save and Publish" !!!!!
C1) How to
make changes after publishing....
1. Go to Bookshelf -
Click the BOX at the left of the title to modify.
2. Select "Edit
book detail" from the Actions button drop-down.
3. Go through
the same uploading of a new zip file.
4. If all is
good, click "Save and Continue" and then "Save and Publish" !!!!!